This year marks my seventh as an independent consultant, and to mark the milestone I first toasted with a fancy beer, and then commissioned an update to the site’s theme. I think every product should have a story, and since I see my site as a product (as well as a sandbox), looking back at how I got here seems appropriate.
This post marks the last step in moving to WordPress. A few notes:
- I broke quite a few links. In fact, I broke every link, and image macros don’t work so I’ll still be cleaning up old posts for a few more days. Popular posts have been redirected, but if I broke something you linked to just let me know and I’ll add a redirect so you won’t have to change anything on your side.
- If you’re so over RSS that you’re back to email, you can subscribe by weekly email in the sidebar. If you do, I won’t tell anyone you’re a inbox-hugging hipster .
- Speaking of RSS feeds, the old ones are almost certainly dead. Please re-subscribe with the convenient links in the sidebar.
- I’m using Tumblr for bookmarks, but have no solution for digest posting of said bookmarks. For now some recent links show up in the sidebar, but If you have any suggestions for turning these into weekly blog posts, please add a comment.
- Comments. I’m using the Intense Debate plugin to provide a kitchen-sink of comment functionality including replying by email and a number of other cool tricks. This area is certain to be one I want to develop more.
- It’s not really a blog thing, but I have started a CorvusTweets public Twitter account to complement the private personal account I’ve been using for a few years. Please follow, and if you don’t have Make Fast Money or Guru in your description, I’ll follow you back.
And lastly, props. Big props. Props the size of the sun to the staff and contributor community behind WordPress, and authors of various plugins I’m using. I’ve linked all the plugins after the jump. After a few weeks of seeing how things go, I’ll be making donations to all those that I keep using. Read more »
It must be spring, because I’ve once again dug up and re-built the setup for this site.
This year,it’s a move back to Retrix for hosting, a change of engine to WordPress from Typo. So far I’m finding this new ride to be exceptionally comfortable, and owe a big thanks to the WordPress and its community for what they’ve built. Typo is a nice system, with one of the nicer admin interfaces, to boot, but we just weren’t right for each other. C’est la vie.
The move was relatively easy, heavy lifting done by Adam Roth for migration and Tzaddi Gordon for custom theming. A mobile theme is available thanks to Brave New Code’s WPtouch iPhone Plugin. It packs a lot of theming control into one plugin, and is well worth a donation given how simple to use and effective it is in generating an almost instant yet complete mobile theme. Bam!
So, a few rough edges remain in migrating content, and my plugin curiosity isn’t sated quite yet. Please pardon any messiness around here for the next few days.